March, 2018 // recipes
Truffles are delightful balls of chocolate, spiced here with cayenne pepper to help spark your digestive fire. Cacao and almonds are rich in skin-strengthening magnesium, potassium and copper, and almonds are also a great source of vitamin E and biotin, which helps protect the skin from dryness and dehydration.
12 medjool dates
- 1⁄4 cup (20g) desiccated coconut, plus extra to decorate (optional)l
- 30g almond butter 1 tablespoon finely chopped roasted almonds, plus extra to decorate (optional)
- 3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus extra to decorate (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (available from health food stores)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of Himalayan salt, plus extra to decorate (optional)
Raw chocolate coating:
- 1⁄2 cup (50g) cacao powder
- 50g cacao butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/ 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Line a medium tray with baking paper.
- Cut the dates down the centreline, going halfway through to expose the pit. Remove and discard the pits.
- To prepare the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Stuff the dates with the filling, pressing the cut edges back together to seal. Arrange on the prepared tray. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- To make the chocolate coating, half-fill a small saucepan with water and bring to the simmer. Place all of the ingredients in a heatproof bowl. Take the pan o the heat and set the bowl over the top. Ensure the base of the bowl does not touch the water. Leave for 5 minutes, or until the cacao butter and coconut oil melts. Stir to combine.
- Holding the stu ed dates on a fork, or using toothpicks, dip and roll the dates one at a time in the chocolate, to coat evenly. Place back on the lined tray..
- To decorate, sprinkle a little desiccated coconut, roasted almond, cayenne pepper and/or Himalayan salt alternately on top of the dates, if desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until set.
Note: You can store these in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Visit The Digest for more beauty and wellbeing inspiration.