MAKES 1 loaf
This delicious loaf is gluten-free and low-FODMAP (at two slices per serve), with an extra protein and antioxidant-rich boost from sunflower kernels and pumpkin seeds (pepitas). Your microbes will love it too, with fibre-rich buckwheat paired with the prebiotic power of marshmallow root (which you should be able to find at health food stores). Anti-inflammatory turmeric gives your loaf a rich golden hue!
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- 120g (3/4 cup) pumpkin seeds (pepitas), plus extra for topping
- 65g (1/3 cup) buckwheat groats, plus extra for topping
- 2 teaspoons unpasteurised apple-cider vinegar, plus a splash of soaking
- 115g (1 cup) arrowroot
- 150g (1 cup) buckwheat flour
- 45g (1/4 cup) chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground marshmallow root (optional)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 375mL (1 1/2 cups) water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sunflower kernels, for topping
- Fill a medium bowl three-quarters of the way with warm water. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt and stir until mostly dissolved. Add the pumpkin seeds, cover the bowl with a clean tea towel (dish towel) and set aside in a warm place to soak for at least 7 (and up to 12) hours. Drain and rinse.
- Fill a small bowl halfway with warm water. Add the buckwheat groats and a spash of apple cider vinegar and set aside in a warm place to soak for 2 (and up to 6) hours. Drain and rinse.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the arrowroot, buckwheat flour, chia seeds, baking powder, turmeric, marshmallow root (if using), soaked seeds, buckwheat groats, pepper and the remaining salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the water, oil and apple-cider vinegar. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and allow the dough to rest for approximately 1 hour. Check to ensure the dough has absorbed any excess water, yet still feels wet and sticky to the touch.
- Preheat the oven 180ºC (350ºF/Gas Mark 4). Lightly grease and line an 18cm x 8cm loaf tin with baking paper. Pour the dough into the prepared tin and smooth out the top with the back of a spoon to remove any air bubbles. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels and buckwheat groats, pushing them into the top of the dough. Bake for 1 hours and 10 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the bread.
- Remove the loaf from the oven, cover with a clean tea towel and let stand for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Turn out onto a rack to cool completely, then slice into 10–12 slices.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or slice into portions and freeze in reusable bags for up to 3 months.