This lovely recipe is one of our all-time favourite soups from The Beauty Chef Gut Guide. It contains okra, a highly nutritious veggie that's a great source of gut-loving fibre, as well as skin-protective antioxidants.
- 250 g (9 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250 g (9 oz) 100% buckwheat noodles
- 2 tablespoons dried instant wakame flakes
- 1 litre (34 fl oz/4 cups) vegetarian broth
- 250 ml (81⁄2 fl oz/1 cup) water
- 2 tablespoons ginger, peeled & very thinly sliced
- 250 g (9 oz) soft (not silken) tofu, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 200 g (7 oz) okra, halved lengthways
- 60 g (2 oz/1⁄4 cup) shiro (white) miso paste
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds, toasted
- Togarashi, for sprinkling, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas Mark 6).
Arrange the tomatoes cut-side down on a small baking tray. Roast for 10 minutes, or until the skins begin to blister and the tomatoes are soft, but are still holding their shape. Set aside.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Cook the buckwheat noodles, referring to packet instructions until al dente. Drain, cool and set aside.
Soak the wakame in cold water for 10 minutes, or until rehydrated. Drain and set aside.
To prepare the miso ginger broth, combine the broth, water and ginger in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Decrease the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tofu and okra and simmer for 2–3 minutes until the okra is just tender but still has a slight bite.
In a small bowl, blend the miso and tamari with approximately 125 ml (4 fl oz / 1/4 cup) of the broth. Pour the mix into the miso ginger broth, gently stirring to combine.
To serve, divide the noodles between deep serving bowls. Top with the okra, tofu, roasted tomato and wakame. Pour over the ginger broth and sprinkle with sesame seeds and togarashi.
For more gut-nourishing recipe ideas, check out The Beauty Chef Gut Guide .