March, 2018 // recipes
MAKES APPROXIMATELY 2 LITRES
Beef broth is a highly gelatinous, richly flavoured gut, joint and beauty tonic. Your broths can be popped into your sauces, used as soup bases or simply enjoyed in a cup as a nourishing, remedying warm drink. .
- 1 1⁄2 kg grass-fed beef soup bones
- 1 leek, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, skin on, quartered
- 1 carrot, unpeeled, coarsely chopped 1 tomato, quartered
- 2 sticks celery, plus leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (unpasteurised) 5 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the bones, leek, onion, carrot and tomato in a large roasting tray and roast for 45 minutes, or until well browned and slightly blackened.
- Transfer the roasted bones and vegetables into a large heavy-based saucepan. Pour o any fat in the tray.
- Pour 1 cup (250ml) of water into the baking tray and stir, scraping the base to remove any stuck pieces and the cooking juices. Pour into the saucepan.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bones. Pour in enough cold water to generously cover the bones.
- Bring to the boil over high heat. Decrease the heat and gently simmer for at least 6-8 hours, and up to 36 hours, topping up with water as required to keep the bones submerged. Skim the fat and impurities o the surface occasionally; this will help to give you a clearer broth.
- Use tongs to remove the bones from the broth. Line a large sieve or colander with a double layer of muslin cloth. Strain the broth, discarding the remaining solids. Set aside to cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove and discard the
- set layer of fat that forms on top of the broth. Use as required.
Note: Bone broth can be stored in the refrigerator for 5-7 days or frozen in batches for up to 4 months. Simmering times for beef broth can vary between 8 and 24 hours, even up to 3 days! I recommend using a slow cooker for longer simmering times. The longer you simmer the more minerals will be released from the bones.
Visit The Digest for more beauty and wellbeing inspiration.